Open Enrollment Period runs from November 1st through December 15th and allows all eligible Americans to get a chance to shop for new health insurance coverage.
Not sure where to start? Here is your 2022 Open Enrollment guide from McKnight & McKnight Insurance! We answer questions including “do you qualify for health insurance subsidies?”, “what do I need to enroll for 2022?”, and even what happens should you miss the OEP.
When is Open Enrollment?
For 2022 health coverage, the Open Enrollment Period begins Monday, November 1st, 2021, and ends on December 15th, 2021. Generally, health care coverage will start on January 1st, 2022.
Who Is Eligible to Apply During Open Enrollment?
Most U.S. citizens who currently reside in the United States are qualified to shop for health insurance during Open Enrollment. As a U.S. citizen, you are only ineligible to apply if you are enrolled in Medicare or are incarcerated.
If you are offered an Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliant health plan by your employer but choose to opt-out of it and secure your own health coverage, you usually won’t be eligible for any subsidies and will need to pay full price for your monthly healthcare premiums. But that doesn’t mean we can’t find other affordable coverage options.
What to Typically Expect from Your Plan
We fully believe in keeping the promise of affordable coverage. Of course, every plan is different, but in general, with an Affordable Care Act-compliant health insurance plan, you can rest assured that you have the following protections:
- Preventative care at no cost to you
- You cannot be denied health insurance coverage due to preexisting conditions
- You cannot be charged more for coverage based on your gender
- Young adults can stay on their parent’s coverage until they are 26
- Essential benefits such as emergency services, hospitalization, maternity, and newborn care, prescription drug coverage, rehabilitation services, pediatric services, and mental health and substance abuse services are covered.
- No annual dollar limits on coverage
- Cost assistance is available for families, individuals, and businesses.
How Do I Get a Subsidy to Help Cover Health Care Costs?
Premium subsidies or premium tax credits are available in every state to make health insurance more affordable. Eligibility for subsidies is based on the applicant’s household income and generally only extend to households with an income of up to 400% of the national poverty level, though this limit has been removed for 2021 and 2022 due to the American Rescue Plan.
For applicants with a lower income, the American Rescue Plan also reduces the percentage of income that they must have for a benchmark plan.
Are you asking, “Do I qualify for health insurance subsidies?” Our agents at McKnight & McKnight Insurance can help you determine if you are eligible for any subsidies for 2022 or find other very affordable policy options. We make healthcare simple; schedule a phone appointment or call us today at (866) 525-0368!
What Do I Need to Enroll for 2022 Health Care Coverage?
You can enroll for a health insurance plan online, in person, or over the phone with one of our agents at McKnight & McKnight Insurance Solutions.
Make sure you have the following information on hand before you enroll:
- Your name, address, email address, social security number, birth date, and citizenship status.
- The household size and income of where you live in you are applying for premium subsidies. To prove your income, you can use pay stubs, your most recent tax return, and W2s.
- Coverage details and premium information if you have an employer-sponsored plan even if you declined it.
- Payment information for monthly premium charges
- Your doctor or medical providers names and zip codes to you can ensure that they are in-network
- A list of medications taken by anyone who will be covered under the health insurance policy
When Does My 2022 Plan Take Effect?
In almost all cases, your health coverage will take effect on January 1st, 2022, if you sign up during the Open Enrollment Period this fall.
If you are already enrolled in a plan and choose a new plan during Open Enrollment, your current plan will end on December 31st, and your new plan will begin on January 1st, 2022.
Further, if you enroll during Open Enrollment but you experience a qualifying life event such as loss of employment, giving birth to a baby, getting married, or moving to a new state, you may be able to get coverage before 2022 begins under a Special Enrollment Period.
What Happens If I Don’t Enroll in Health Care During Open Enrollment?
If you don’t enroll in an ACA health insurance plan by the end of Open Enrollment on December 15th, 2021, or January 5th, 2022, if it is extended, you will have to wait for Open Enrollment in the fall of 2022— if you don’t have a qualifying life event or get coverage from an employer.
Get Health Coverage for 2022
It’s Open Enrollment season! If you are ready to enroll in a new health insurance plan, we can help find affordable coverage!
Our licensed independent insurance agents at McKnight & McKnight Insurance can help you find the best plan for you and ensure that you receive all subsidies that you are eligible for. Ready to enroll for 2022? Schedule your Open Enrollment phone consultation today or call us at (866) 525-0368!