It’s that time of year again! Open Enrollment for eligible Americans to sign up or change their health care coverage begins on November 1st.
Not sure where to begin? Here is your 2023 Open Enrollment guide from our team at McKnight & McKnight Insurance. We will answer all your questions and outline what you need to get ready for Open Enrollment so you can be prepared. Of course, you can also schedule a free consultation and we’ll make sure you’re taken care of.
How Long Does Health Insurance Open Enrollment Last?
The 2023 Health Insurance Open Enrollment Period runs from November 1, 2022 – December 15, 2022.
- Job-based plans may follow a different Open Enrollment Period. Check with your employer for more information.
- You can apply or enroll in Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) at any time during the year.
- You are first eligible to apply for Medicare during the 3 months before you turn 65.
Outside of the Open Enrollment Period, you can still enroll in an Affordable Care Act-compliant plan only if you qualify for a special enrollment period (SEP). You may be eligible for a SEP if you have recently gotten married, had a baby, moved, or lost other health coverage.
Any Open Enrollment News or Changes for 2023?
We received news that Bright Healthcare will no longer be offering their Individual and Family Health Insurance Plans after December 31, 2022. Impacted members will receive a communication from Bright Healthcare that outlines this termination and what to expect. Current coverage will continue through December 31, 2022, provided that monthly premiums are paid in a timely manner.
During Open Enrollment, we can help those with Bright Healthcare policies navigate through alternate coverage options. We’ll assist you with enrollment in a new, comparable plan with an effective date of January 1, 2023. The goal is to have no gap in health insurance coverage.
Who Can Apply During Open Enrollment?
Most United States Citizens who currently reside in the United States are qualified to apply for health insurance during the OEP. As a U.S. citizen, you are only ineligible to apply if you are incarcerated or are already enrolled in Medicare.
If you are offered a health plan through your employer but choose to opt-out of it and secure your own health coverage, you likely won’t be eligible for any subsidies and will need to pay full price for your insurance premiums. But that doesn’t mean that our agents can find you other affordable care options!
“McKnight could not have made things more simple and easy! This is my first time ever enrolling in health care for myself since getting out of college recently. In a quick phone call, they walked me through every step and gave me options for what package would fit me the best for my lifestyle! Thank you for making it easy and ZERO stress for me.”
Getting Ready for Open Enrollment
If you are planning to apply for health coverage for 2023, here are a few things that you can do to get ready:
- Gather information about your household income and expenses. You will need to provide this information when you apply for coverage.
- Determine what type of coverage best suits you and your family’s needs. There are different types of plans available, so make sure to compare your options before deciding.
- Once Open Enrollment begins, you can begin the application process.
If you are unsure of what kind of coverage is best for your family or need help applying for 2023 coverage, schedule a phone call with our knowledgeable independent agents at McKnight & McKnight Insurance Solutions. We are ready to help you choose the best coverage for your needs!
Make the Most of Open Enrollment
Now is a great time to review your current coverage to ensure it is working well for you and your family. Here are a few tips to streamline the enrollment process:
- Review your current health plan. Make sure you understand everything that it covers, including prescriptions, your preferred doctors, etc. This will help you determine if you need to choose a new plan.
- Compare your current plan to other available plans. This will help you decide if switching to a new plan is right for you.
- Consider your health needs when choosing your plan. Make sure your plan covers all the health services that you need and that it fits your budget.
- Get help if you need it. Our team at McKnight & McKnight Insurance is here to help you understand your options and make the best choice for your needs.
What if I Miss Open Enrollment?
Unfortunately, if you have missed Open Enrollment you will have to wait until next year to apply unless you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period. While you won’t be penalized on your taxes if you don’t have health coverage in 2023, you could be at risk for unexpected medical bills without it.
Get Health Coverage for 2023
Open Enrollment season is upon us! If you are ready to enroll in a new health plan or want to make changes to your coverage, we can help you find affordable coverage.
Our licensed independent insurance agents at McKnight & McKnight are here to walk you through applying for health coverage during Open Enrollment and will ensure that you receive all the subsidies that you may be eligible for.
Ready to enroll for 2023? Schedule an Open Enrollment phone consultation today or call us at (866) 525-0368!